About Me

My name is Scarlett Mora, I am a 6th grade teacher with USD259, Wichita, KS. I am working towards a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis is technology. This blog will follow my journey as I discover new apps and sites to utilize in the classroom.

Monday, April 27, 2015

Social Media Tools for the Classroom

When you think of social media you may think of only Facebook or Twitter, but ,may other sites would be categorized as social media.Social media is defined by WhatIs.com as the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing and collaboration. Websites and applications dedicated to forums, microbloggingsocial networkingsocial bookmarkingsocial curation, and wikis are among the different types of social media. 
Pinterest  is one such social media site that can give you a wealth of ideas and resources. It is basically like on online pin board. Where you can bookmark websites and resources you want to remember.    I find it particularly helpful when I am stuck on a lesson plan or want to find a new activity.  You can also  search for topics others have pinned or create your own.  Check out the video below to see how to get started today.

Another great resources for keeping track of and sharing websites and resources is Symbaloo. I prefer Symbaloo for a classroom setting as it does not require a login for others to view a webmix you have shared with them. (Awesome for those student webquests.) You can create your own tiles of any website or resource you wish, and them share all of them with one simple link. Check out a webmix I have made here.

No comments:

Post a Comment